Why CareerOyster, you may ask? Experience and proven results!
Meet the Head Coach and Founder – Howard J. Cattie, Jr.
Howard has over 30 years of Career Services experience with a special talent in coaching jobseekers and recruiters in effective career planning, dynamic resume writing, interviewing and job closing strategies. Howard has been a Senior Career Consultant with the Frontier Group. He founded and managed Custom Recruiting Services; a specialized recruiting firm for Technology and Technology Sales and Marketing professionals. Prior to that Howard was an Executive in three national Recruiting and Staffing organizations: Source Services, Romac International (now Kforce) and Norrell (now Spherion). He has trained over 400 recruiters and thousands of candidates in job seeking techniques with a true specialty in candidate interview preparation. His newest venture CareerOyster, LLC; is the most forward thinking, relevant and tailored approach to teaching all of these skills.
MS in Computer Engineering from the University of Michigan
MBA in Marketing from Temple University
BS in Engineering Physics from St Joseph’s University
Sales and Marketing, Sales, Sales Management, IT, Engineering and Accounting
Howard has run offices and regions throughout the US. He has had Software Sales experience with IBM, Resumix and Conduit Software. He was a certified member of Worldwide Association of Business Coaches (WABC) and provides Executive, Sales and Career Coaching to Management Clients.
CareerOyster provides online career and job transition coaching to help executives and professionals direct their careers throughout their working lives. Services include resume help, interviewing help, job leads and customized career coaching via multimedia products and current technologies. The theme of the company is simple:
"The world is your Oyster….. be the pearl".
Who is Head Coach Howard Cattie…?
Before founding CareerOyster, LLC, Howard had over 30 years of Career Coaching, Recruiting, Sales and Sales Management experience. While he has been a hiring manager for most of that time, his real passion has been in helping individuals identify their longer term goals and position themselves to get there. He has extensive experience in coaching jobseekers and recruiters in effective career planning, resume writing, interview coaching and negotiation strategies.
Howard has trained over 400 recruiters and thousands of candidates in job seeking techniques with a true specialty in candidate interview preparation.
Howard was a Senior Career Coach with the Frontier Group. He also founded and managed Custom Recruiting Services, which was a specialized recruiting firm for Technology and Technology Sales and Marketing professionals. Howard was also a Senior Executive in three national Recruiting organizations: Source Services, Romac International (now Kforce) and Norrell (now Spherion). His technology background included Software Sales experience with IBM and Resumix as well as, 7 years of computer hardware design.
Howard was a certified member of Worldwide Association of Business Coaches (WABC) where he provided Executive, Sales and Career Coaching to Management Clients.
Howard has an MBA from Temple University and a
MS in Computer Engineering from the University of Michigan
Philosophy / Howard’s Rules for Job Search
- When it comes to job search, we are all in sales
- In job search there are no rules
- Job description is only half accurate
- Timing is more important than facts
- Recruiters never find the top five candidates they find the first five
- The resume game is about paper, the hiring game is about the interview
- 80% of screening is done by the resume
- 80% of whether they hire you in how well you interview
- People hire people, not resumes
- When in doubt, send it out
- Time kills all deals
- Activiity breeds success and success breeds motivation
- People do what’s in their own best interst as they percive it
- Focus then prospect
- Life gets in the way
- Cast the wider net-you don’t know what you don’t know
- Change your thinking Change your world
- Average is so over! Be Exceptional!
- That used to be us.
- Good: chasing today’s ad; Better: Future ads that haven’t been posted.
- Marketability versus ROI
- You don’t know what you don’t know
- Different specialties: SalesOyster, TechOyster, FinanceOyster, C-levelOyster, SeniorOyster
Want to be the Pearl? Let’s meet to see how we can help you?
We help you solve your personal Career or Job Seeking Challenges
- Finding the jobs, contacts and openings of the hidden market as well as the public market.
- Packaging oneself to stand out from the herd.
- Clear communications of your marketable skills. Why you are exceptional.
- Handling the hoops and screens in today’s interviewing and hiring process.
- Competing in a myriad of interview situations – panel interviews that – phone screens, multiple interviews, executive interviews, HR interviews, behavioral interviews.
- Handling your weaknesses and red flags
- Branding yourself and using today’s technology to be found.
- Clearly communicating transitional skills and accomplishments.
- Understanding realistic options.
- Strategy and tactics of the job search campaign.
- Become a salesperson in a sales process.
Our Professional Services:
Four programs are available:
- The initial level of services - 90 day program
- The Professional Program – 6 months
- The Executive Program – 9 months
- The Affordable Group Program - customized
All programs feature:
- Career “specialized” coaches to give you the best advice.
- On your schedule, skype, phone or face to face
- Blended coaching with one-on-one and online video training.
- Step-by-step game plan defined.
- Complete suite of resources to locate contacts, recruiters and jobs.
- Detailed specific solutions for your communications and liabilities.
- Lifetime job search skills with the confidence to execute them effectively.
- Ongoing support via videos and hotline for up to one year if needed.
- Multiple customized payment plans tailored to your needs and budget.
- Satisfaction guaranteed.
What others say about our services our services:
- It was enlightening and made the new job search process clear.
- My activity and success accelerated through the program.
- I never understood my marketability so well.
- I successfully made the transition to a new industry.
- Career Oyster built my confidence up to compete.
- CareerOyster saved me months of time and lost paychecks.
- Increased my compensation and negotiated a signing bonus.
- I won the better job in the interview.
- My career accelerated by finding a better company.
- I found a position with more challenge.
- I was out of work for a long time and I got back in the game.
- The program produced a better future for me.
- I would never have gotten this job without the interview coaching.
- Everyone needs a career coach today. It was a great investment.
Product Features: Special features of our custom programs
- Assess your skills and marketability
- i. Proprietary assessment with specific advice to interviews communications and resumes
- i. Networking=sales and marketing philosophy, how to be comfortable branding yourself, compelling messaging and communication, specific scripts and approaches
- ii. Personal sites
- Campaign Strategies
- i. Targeting companies, groups, social media branding, what data bases do I use, who would be my best referrals and connectors?
- How marketable to the following resources
- Executive search, staffing or responding to ads, different industries, roles and salaries, career life cycle, size of the company, compensation flexibility, scheduling,
- ii. Targeting resources
- iii. Tracking the activity speadsheet
- i. Elevator Pitch
- ii. Questions
- iii. Writing Review notes
- Writing Templates
- i. Cover Letters/Thank you
- ii. Personal messaging and phone Scripts
- iii. Networking templates, email/phone strategies
LinkedIn references video testimonials.