Philosophy / Howard’s Rules for Job Search
The Job Search – Rules of the "Game"
- When it comes to job search, "we are all in sales".
- In job search there are no rules.
- Job descriptions are only half accurate, and we don’t know which half.
- Recruiters never find the top 5 candidates they find the first 5 candidates.
- The resume game is about the paper, the hiring game is about the person.
- 80% of screening is done by the resume.
- 80% of hiring is based on how well you interview.
- People hire people, not resumes.
- Life gets in the way.
- Change your thinking Change your world.
- Average is so over! Be Exceptional!
- That used to be us. Move on.
- Be Patient - Howard’s law of relativity – For the manager, every hour goes by like a second, for the job seeker – Every second goes by like an hour.
Tips to Win – Drive focused activity
- Get the help you need ASAP to minimize failures and learning curves.
- When in doubt, send it out
- Time kills all deals – make time your ally!
- Timing is more important than qualifications.
- Activity breeds success and success breeds motivation.
- People do what’s in their own best interest as they perceive it.
- Focus then prospect. Fill the funnel every day.
- Cast the wider net - you don’t know what you don’t know
- Good: chasing today’s ad; Better: chasing future ads that haven’t been posted.
- Address no objection before its time.
- No decisions about a job until an offer.
"The world is your Oyster… be the pearl."